Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Thwarted Thief

Last week Harmon's bike was stolen from the school bike rack. Our new house is a 2.5 mile round trip from the school. In the mornings Harmon and I ride our bikes while Ella and Porter take it easy in the bike trailer. In the afternoon Porter rides his bike or hangs out in the stroller with Ella. For awhile there I was hauling Harmon's bike on top of the stroller when it was too cold to ride in the mornings. That was a huge pain. The new plan works much better.

One day last week I was running late so I drove Harmon to school. During the day I dropped his bike off at the school so we could walk home together. Then something happened that caused me to drive to the school. I don't even remember what it was. I picked Harmon up from school and totally forgot about the bike until later that night. Micah went to go get it at 11:30 and it was no longer there. I couldn't believe that somebody stole his bike!




The next day I called the school, but no one had called in saying their kid and taken a bike. I drove around the school, nothing. Then that afternoon we decided to check the bike racks. Voila! It was back, only not in the bike rack, it was at the playground. We went to pick it up and there were 3 boys standing there looking suspicious. They all started talking, saying it wasn't theirs and that they didn't know whose
it was. No big deal, we got the bike back, it had a flat tire and was a little beat up.

Fast foward a few days. Harmon's bike is once again in the bike rack. We were a little delayed getting over to it. As we head toward it we see one of these "suspicious" boys trying to take off with the bike again! He saw us, threw the bike down and continued walking home. My friend, Teresa, and I were in awe at the audacity of this little punk. Harmon got to his bike, got on and started riding. He rode ride up to that kid and was like, "Hey, are you trying to steal my bike?" I didn't matter that this kid was quite a bit bigger and that mom was lagging behind. It cracked me up! I was a little surprised at his fearlessness.


These pictures are from last summer. The trees around here are still pretty naked.




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Great story and good for Harmon defending his stuff!! I am glad I was able to finally get on your blog! It was great talking to you today! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow, i hate big boy bullies. Where are their parents?? Losing a bike for a little child is heart breaking. Scott when he was 7 he got a brand new bike for Christmas. His Mom was a single Mom and had saved her pennies for that bike. The next day Scotts older brother was late for school so he rode it to school and left it there. When school was over the bike was gone and his brother had to come home and break the news to his Mother and Scott. As you can imagine, Scott was devistated. (still doesn't forgive his brother to this day:) Just kidding, but it is a memory that bugs him, that punks steal little kids bikes!! I'm glad Harmon found his.

    ReplyDelete