Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Woes

First off, Happy Mother's Day to everyone! Great job plugging away day after day! I am posting a statement as well as a question, so please leave me your thoughts. What do you think of as "Mother's Day?" It usually involves some semblance of getting pampered, fed breakfast, the kids are threatened by dad not to fight, a nice dinner, go to church and the kids sing some cute song, and a flower or some other little token that all the youth or men pass out to all the women. Sound about right?

Today I got ripped off. I got breakfast and Harmon excitedly gave me his special towel with his handprints. check, check. All very cute and wonderful. We get to church (only a couple minutes late) and there are a couple of nice talks (ours were actually very good), check, the kids get up to sing and look adorable, check and Harmon brings me back a nice silk flower. Okay?

A little odd, but I think, cool a bonus flower. Odd though, because only mothers with children in primary got a silk flower. Sacrament meeting ends and there is no announcement to stay seated while we give all the mothers a special gift. WHAT???? I was so looking forward to my little stinky marigold, or pansy, or petunia. I wanted to plant it, nurture it and watch it grow. Really I did! I haven't always felt that way but I've been doing some growing and I was really looking forward to it.

Maybe I am too nostalgic, but I was waiting for that fun gift. And do you know what else I really wanted today? Hold on to your hats because this is a departure as well. I really really wanted a beautiful corsage to wear on my blouse. For reals!! I even wore a necklace that was my great grandmothers. It's black and orange flowers (rhinestones) and pearls. Very vintage. Very 60's costume jewlery and aboslutely fabulous. There was one woman who had a corsage. I was so envious. I kind of thought corsages were so yesterday, but now it really appeals to me to get to wear a beautiful flower on my person......hmmm, maybe I have been putting too many flowers in ella's hair. That could account for my change of heart. Oh well, I still think it would have been a fun thing to wear. I may have to order one for myself next year!

I think somebody else thought it was a bad idea not to have something for the mothers because a member of the R.S. presidency made cookies for everyone. Wonderful gesture and a tasty cookie...but come on, where's my flower wrapped in tinfoil? I called my mother to complain. Her ward was even worse. They had the "men" make cookies to bring. Yah right, who made all the cookies? The mothers of course and then they passed them out to the very people that had to stress over getting cookies to church by 9 am. Brilliant! That's just what I want.

Then my mother told me the best story about my Grandpa Ray. He had strong feelings about mother's and when he was the Sunday school president he arranged for all the mother's to have a flower. In addition to that, he had a lovely potted plant for the oldest mother, the newest mother and the mother with the most children. My mom says that he was advised by his Bishop not to do that again. He did again the next year and found himself released from that calling. My mom did point out that he wasn't being obedient, but I think he did the right thing! Mothers work very hard every day and they DESERVE all those special little gestures that make it all worth it. A little extra credit. So many of our daily task are thankless. Why not soak it all in on the one day when you can?

I can't wait to find a safe keeping place for Harmon's little towel. It was a sweet treasure and my boys were precious today...most of the day. It was a good day. We had a nice meal and had some friends over whose husband left today for 4 months. How's that for a mother's day...have your husband leave. Yuck! Over all it was a nice day.

But I still wanted that half-dead, semi-tipsy, precious, beautiful, tinfoil covered little blooming treasure that probably would have died. Of course, there is always the slight possibility that I am just a touch hormonal today. Who knows.

11 comments:

  1. I too did not recieve a flower wrapped in tinfoil. I did however recieve a nicely wrapped bundle of chocolate, passed out by the young men. It is funny because I was looking forward to the flower as well, but I won't complain. Chocolate is hard to beat. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!! You are one the most inspiriational mother's I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up. You always say just what I need for the day. I recieved a pretty rose with some chocolates, but I was ticked because they young men came out to get them out of the clerks office and I happened to be standing right there with the boys that i had been wrestling all sacrament. All the leaders and young men walked right by me and back into the chapel with out giving me anything. I was like are you kidding me i deserve one more than anyone in that chapel! I am the only one who has faught these two boys for an hour! And all the women were in the chapel standing up waiting to recieve their gift! I wanted to go push them down. Then on there way back to bring back the extra's a young man handed me one. The boys start screaming and fighting over the rose, "my flower!" "No my flower" and on and on and then break the rose in two and the leaves are all over the floor now! I was even madder now they broke my rose. The Ym's pres asked me if wanted another one,"Heck no, they'll just break another one all the wile my husband enjoyed a nice sacrament meeting! Cason screamed the next 15 min and wouldn't go to nursery because his flower broke! Okay sorry, I am off my soap box. I went on to have a better day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on Sister!!! I didn't get no stinkin flower either! I was also so looking forward to it. But, no, we got a peice of paper with a "special" message on it. What? Paper?!? I Know, I was sorely dissapointed. I felt the same, kinda screwed in a way. Its a good thing Parker had brought me a "flower" he planted at school. Preach on Sister, Preach on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that last comment was mine, aparentally, my sister was signed in on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come to Utah we got a flower! They don't pass them out though, you recieve them when you leave the chapel at each door. Every women recieves them, not just mothers. Geranium red:)
    As far as Jennilyn goes President Packer said it is the Man who is to take the children out durning Sacrement meeting....tell Brenden to look it up on LDS.org:)
    P.S. I hate Mothers day read my blog for more

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got bath salts this year. Really? Bath salts? I don't know about you but there is nothing relaxing about a bath in my house. I have half a dozen kids and a husband pounding on the door asking me when I'm getting out. Oh - and it had a book mark on it too. Unless I'm marking Cat in The Hat that thing will never be used. At least not in this decade. My mothers day was a joke. Boo to mothers day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all those comments! It's a good thing we are all in this together! It is uplifting just to know that other mom's are in the same boat! This is the first year I have not gotten breakfast in bed. (rotten kids) But I won't cry about it since Phil did get me a beautiful corsage, which i have always wanted but only gotten maybe twice before from him in my 14 years of being a mom. He remembered this year! Our gift in sacrament meeting was a giant chocolate bar! Great idea! I got a sweet letter from Wyatt and some cute stuff Abby made at school. I actually love Mother's day! I keep my expectations low and then everything is a bonus! Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't want you to think I don't like being a Mother because I do. I just don't like the guilt trip Mothers day puts on me. This is probably the first year I have not come home from church crying. Maybe I'm growing up:) Thanks for the comment. Sometimes I thin Britain was easier to take care of (being celestal and all) than teenagers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adam was disapointed because they gave us all CD instead of the big Hersheys bar they usally give. I love Grandpa! I think that is such a nice idea. My kids kept it really real yesterday is church. I had to leave durin the sacrament and it was with my 7 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the story about grandpa ray..that is so funny. yes I think the flower thing is going to be a wonderful thing soon forgotten. we got a candy bar-but I had to hurry and scarf it down before you know who saw it. so yes I too in favor of a pretty potted plant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am soo with you! In our RS pres meeting the week before sis Allen said she would make cookies just in case because there was nothing last year either, so even though she made them at least it was something. So many people were quite suprised to see me talk too. I was myself suprised at the call to talk Thurs. when Austin was only 1 week old, but since we were going to be there to bless austin i thought--no biggy. When I heard about 1st wards suprise --I too was jealous and very disappointed in our wards lack of effort. Oh well here's hoping for next year!

    ReplyDelete