Monday, May 11, 2009

A Super Duper Mother's Day

I talked to my friend Jill today. She is in the 1st ward, which I just moved out of. I asked her how her Mother's Day went. She said it was the best ever. I asked her what the men had come up with. You are not gonna believe it. It is the best idea I have ever heard of. One that can't be duplicated too often, but man it was good!

They had a flower and a book (forgot to ask what it was) for all the women. Wonderful gesture. Then....this is where it gets good. The Bishop showed up in Relief Society and had the men take over Primary and Young Women's. He addressed all the women and told them just how special they were and how the ward could not function without them. (This is a small ward and many people are called up to do a lot.) Then he said that they had wanted to do something to show their appreciation so the men had made dinner! The women were able to eat dinner and visit during Relief Society. Jill reported that as the women talked, ABSOLUTELY no one had any idea what the men had been up to. Only one woman wondered where all her deseret pans had gone. Can you believe that??? I just laughed I thought it was so amazing! After they ate they watched a conference talk about the importance of mothers. When they were finished the Bishop mentioned that they might be worried what they were going to feed their families, he said not to worry, they had planned enough food to feed everyone.

How amazing was that? I was so impressed. It just tickled me immensely that they did such an amazing tricky thing. I have really enjoyed our time in Minot. The people here are really amazing. When you think of North Dakota you don't think of it as a place you would want to stay. I certainly did not, but I am continuely amazed at how kind, friendly and generous everyone is. The local people who might have family local still extend themselves to all of us military people who come through and create constant upheaval for the ward. So even though I didn't get my little potted flower yesterday (or a chocolate bar! I would have taken that!!) I am grateful to be here.

My 2nd favorite? Check out Dedre's blog and see what my cousin Troy planned. WAY TO GO TROY!! I loved this idea. I LOVE zinnas! SO CUTE!!!

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I have been in both those wards, and they are both great! I have really missed all the " locals". They were like family to me. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete