Friday, April 10, 2009

Love Is Spoken Here

Or....should I say Love is SUNG Here. We are in a hotel room in Bismarck for Stake Conference. A one room hotel room. We like it because it has a king size bed for Micah and I and a pull out couch for the boys. Ella sleeps in her pack and play. Tonight the boys are pinging off the walls. Micah tried laying down with them, we tried separating them, coaxing, threatening, singing, etc. They didn't want to settle in. I started singing to them because I realized that we should have brought their music cd with them. I made a cd of the primary songs being used in primary this year. We tried to sing a few but it was mostly off tune and there were too many wrong words. At one point I was singing about Ella's stinky poopy bum and was Daddy ever going to check her and change her. That was a mistake, the boys started laughing harder, although he did change her. He is quite the trooper.

Suddenly I was struck with inspiration, or maybe I should say I was blessed with inspiration. I got on the church's website and went to the primary section. I began playing each song for the boys. WOW...what a difference. I am now sitting in the dark in a quiet hotel room. They haven't gone to sleep yet but their little bodies are resting and I think I hear at least one of them snoring. Might even be Ella. Harmon will usually go to sleep really quickly if he is left alone. So actually I think that is him snoring. Now if Porter will just drift off into dreamland. I just heard Porter yawn.

I am so GRATEFUL for the beautiful music that the church provides for us to enjoy. I know that my children are able to enjoy the sweet spirit that the music invites. The boys have been bickering in the car and I can put that music on and they are almost instantly quiet. We are listening to The Family Is of God. The lyrics are so nice and the music is especially beautiful. What a wonderful message to share with my children everyday. They learn that they are loved by both earthly and heavenly parents.

1. Our Father has a family. It’s me!
It’s you, all others too: we are His children.
He sent each one of us to earth, through birth,
To live and learn here in fam’lies.

2. A father’s place is to preside, provide,
To love and teach the gospel to his children.
A father leads in fam’ly prayer to share
Their love for Father in Heaven.

3. A mother’s purpose is to care, prepare,
To nurture and to strengthen all her children.
She teaches children to obey, to pray,
To love and serve in the fam’ly.

4. I’ll love and serve my family and be
A good example to each fam’ly member.
And when I am a mom or dad, so glad,
I’ll help my fam’ly remember:

[Chorus]
God gave us families to help us become what He wants us to be—
This is how He shares His love, for the fam’ly is of God.

Words and music: Matthew Neeley


Now my sweet husband is laying next to Porter helping him to relax and go to sleep. I am truly blessed to have a such a loving husband to be a father to our children.

I am going to try and link this song here...we'll see if I can actually do it. You will have to select the song to play it.

Soo...tell me your best story about your children and music.


2 comments:

  1. How sweet. I love that song too. The kids sang it in Sacrament Meeting a couple weeks ago and that was the first time I'd heard it. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! That is the song that I have playing right now on my playlist. I put all of this years primary music on my blog's playlist so I can access it super easily! I just turned it on so the kids could wake up on Easter Sunday morning and hopefully be peaceful and reverent as we get ready for church. I remember when we used to stay in a hotel in Fargo for Stake conference when Curtis and Jerika were really little. Pretty difficult, but now good memories! Thanks for sharing Annie! Have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete