Monday, May 24, 2010

Stewed Kebabs

Kandahar Airfield is a NATO base and there are about 10 different dining  facilities catering to the different troops here. The current breakdown on chow halls is 4 American, 4 European, 1 Asian, and 1 Afghan.  Most people just go to the dining facility closest to where they sleep or work. Luckily I am across the street from an American facility so I usually have breakfast and dinner there. Where I go for lunch isdictated by work. When we aren't flying we convoy to the nearest American facility. When I am flying things get interesting because of where we are going and what time we take off and land. Our hangar is immediately next to the Afghan compound and so their chow hall is the closest thing if we have limited time. The first time I went they asked if I wanted to eat some kebabs. I didn't know this but kebabs just means chunks of meat and the preparation can include boiled, fried, orstewed. I have eaten with the Afghans about half a dozen times now and the meal is always the same - soup, flat bread, rice, and stewed potatoes and beef. The only thing that changes is the fruits and vegetables depending on what is in season. The good news is you know what to expect and their fruits and vegetables are always the best onbase.
Rumor has it Shish Kebabs were not invented until the Persians introduced the Afghans to the tips of their swords. I am told the Afghans do have Shish Kebabs for special occasions like the elusive dinner the Afghan General is setting up for all the new Air Advisors.


No comments:

Post a Comment