Thursday, May 13, 2010

A co-pirate

This came from Micah today:
This story is for Porter. He thinks I am out fighting pirates. The Air Force has standardized the way pilots transfer the controls when flying an aircraft. There should be a three way conversation that goes something like this:
Pilot wants the co-pilot to fly and says, "Copilot has the controls" Copilot takes the controls and says, "Copilot has the controls." The pilot then visually confirms that the copilot has the controls and says, "Copilot has the controls."
This is the same process that we are teaching to our Afghan pilots. Only we have thrown a translator into the mix. The translators that we have aren't too bad. However, sometimes the translators have a funny way of pronouncing things. I admit that sometimes I do my part to contribute to the language barrier.
I have started saying pirate instead of pilot. It sounds close enought that no one notices except the other american in the back.
So that is a co-pirate over in the right seat. I particularly like this pirate's bandolier cartridge holder. I guess he plans on loading his semi-auto pistol like a single shot. The Afghans have a way of simplifying technology like that.





2 comments:

  1. That is a cute story for Porter! I hope that Micah is safe over there! You are a strong little mom, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it! too cute! we have those airplanes/helicopter's fly over our house. the other day they were out here I assume practicing fueling in air. It looked like that at least. anyways. I was thinking the whole time about the pirates thing. next time my kids are home I am going to tell them that pirates fly those things :)

    ReplyDelete