Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Squirmy Mess

Be forewarned...this is kind of a gross story.

Sooooo.....as many of you know we are doing a bit of remodeling on the house I will be living while Micah is deployed.  A few weeks ago I noticed a mouse run behind some cupboards while I was cleaning.  Nothing a box of Decon couldn't take care of, right?  I kind of wondered if I would kill that mouse.   And Oh I did!

Yesterday I went over to the house and down in the basement was the most wretched smell.  We had a pipe in the bathroom leak so there was some residual water left on the floor (the basement is gutted so it is just concrete).  I thought maybe the water smelled bad.  I couldn't figure it out.  I even texted Matthew (my brother) and said, "It smells like there is something dead down here."  I was hoping he would offer to come and check it out for me.  He didn't.  Too busy schmoozing his girlfriend.  But that is okay.  We want him to marry her!

So anyway, today I go back down to the basement to start some laundry.  Same wretched smell again!  Only this time it was a bit stronger.  I opened up the windows checked to see if the water was still leaking.  It wasn't but there was still some damp places.  I figure things are fine, maybe some dirty laundry got wet and is smelling.  There were a few things left behind in the house that I have been trying to get washed and bagged up so they could have been the culprit.

Later in the day I head downstairs to switch laundry again.  This time I notice the water leaking.  I leaned over to give the pipes a once over and voila! I found my leak.  It was in an unexpected spot.  Then I notice something writhing and wriggling out of the corner of my eye.  I reached down and slowly lifted a piece of wet fabric.  Underneath was a dead, decomposing, maggot covered mouse.  Talk about foul.  I about puked....and I hate to puke.  It was seriously foul.  A mouth breathing, hold your breath moment.  I'm even holding my breath as I type.  Agghh.  It was gross. 

I called Matthew and my Dad.  I figured if I was really smart I would get one of them to clean it up.  Eventually Matthew worked up some courage, put his gloves on, and quickly scooped up the dead mouse and threw it and the rotten fabric in the trash.  Then we poured bleach on the area.  I am hoping that things will smell better tomorrow and that Matthew remembered to take the trash can up and outside.  Crap...I sure hope he was smart enough to think of that!  I didn't even think of it till now.  Had to put the whole experience out of my head for awhile.  I thought I would spare everyone a picture of that little treat!!

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh...I am sick to my stomach just reading that. I would have puked.. I have a light stomach for things like that. sometimes my kids puke makes me puke :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne you are a trong person!! I am impressed with all your hard work and effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "For Sale" sign in my lawn!! I don't handle mice AT ALL!!! Growing up on a farm you would think I could handle them better then I do. ONe time I was sitting on the toilet and one came running under the door and down the the heat vent! Needless there was a pantless dancer screaming on the bathroom vanity!!

    ReplyDelete