Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Little Something Extra

Each week i get out my pen, paper, and cookbooks. I sit down at the table, puruse the cookbooks and make a list of tasty dishes. Usually I try to ask my husband's input. He asks for the same thing each week. You'd think I would learn not to ask. At least he doesn't ask for steak anymore..GAG!

Anyway, on this week's menu was a new favorite. Chicken and Dumplings done in a light and healthy manner. I was excited because this is a big favorite at our house. It is easy, warm, satisfying and quite delicious. Tuesday is my piano lesson day so I try to pick something easy to make that can be partially done ahead of time. I was off my game and didn't make any preparations before my piano students came. When it came time to cook dinner I was busy trying to throw it all together. It turned out great and we sat down to eat. Delicious as usual. After dinner Micah helped clear off the table and was putting the leftover soup into a container. He made a rather startling discovery. I had put a little something extra in the soup. Actually, his question was this, "Are you trying to kill me or something?" When I had put the can of green beans in the soup I threw in the sharp lid as well. Whoops! Who doesn't like a little steel with their dinner??

Here's the recipe:

3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast (I just use a whole package) cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
1 cup water
2 cups frozen french-cut green beans (I use canned green beans)
1 1/2 cups sliced onins
1 cup coarsely shredded carrots (I cut up baby carrots)
1/4 tsp marjoram
2/3 cup reduced-fat bisquick
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup skim milk

Spinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil until browned and juices run clear.

In a large saucepan, combine flour and 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Stir in water and remaining broth. Add the beans, onions, carrots, marjoram and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cornmeal and cheese. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop batter in 12 mounds onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).

Serves 4. 1 1/4 cup of soup with 3 dumplings is 353 calories and 8 gm of fat.

4 comments:

  1. I just finished reading your blog and I love it! And I will probably use the recipe as well. I do the same thing as far as menu planning. I loved the pictures of your kids,especially the ones of the boys watching Home Alone. (Nothing is funnier to children than people getting hurt in odd ways.) Ella is so cute, I would take her home with me. Those cheeks are irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks soooooo much for the advice. i'm doing o.k. with the food. It's the excercise that I'm not as committed to yet. I'll get there!

    Thanks again you are awesome and a great insperation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds good! Chicken is expensive here so I don't think we will get to try it too soon but will save it for when we do buy some! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds good, I have to feed the sister missionaries tomorrow and I think I will do this. Thanks! You are a great!

    ReplyDelete