Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Make it a DOUBLE!

A double what, you ask? Well, it's gonna be a double diet coke day. Yesterday we were enjoying Veteran's day together as family. We went to town, ran a few errands and then came home to a suspicious smell. The sewer drain had backed up into our basement and the neighbors. Needless to say, it was a bit poopy. Now I get to spend my day cleaning...my favorite thing to do! Actually the housing maintenance guy did a great job sanitizing the floor and cleaning up. Apparently some roots had grown into the pipes and there was a tremendous root ball that he had to clear out. He spent 6 hours here yesterday and said that he had never seen anything like it.

We live on the AF base and our house is scheduled to be demoed sometime in the next 2 years. It is pretty old (no dishwasher!!) but has lots of charm and great windows. I really do like living here...most days. Anyway, our house is quite small or maybe we just have too much crap (i'm on a roll with the puns) and we have all of our kids toys down in the basement. I feel like I need to sanitize all of their toys, mop everywhere and clean all of the door handles, etc. Gross huh!

The good thing is that Micah's sister is coming to visit today. She is coming from Orlando and we are very excited to see her. The bad news? I didn't clean up my house too much because kids undo everything within a matter of minutes. So I had procrastinated thinking that I would have lots of time today. Nope. Oh well.

Two things I discovered during this experience. One, you don't realize how much you'd like to make a visit to the bathroom (i.e. poop) until you can't actually go in and do the deed. Two, you don't realize how scared you are to actually poop in your own toilet when you've just seen the whole neighborhood's business down in your basement. Is anyone dry heaving yet? Ha! Ha! I totally just made myself laugh.

In lieu of sympathy cards just send me some good chocolate or a diet coke!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry! That sounds horrible. Just know that you're not alone. I'm cleaning my house today too--!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AT least we have lysol spray and wipes and all that stuff. It could be worse your job could be the poop cleaning mans. huh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sucks to be you! That just sounds nasty! You gotta LOVE base housing! HAhaha!Your always good for a laugh! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!! If it makes you feel any better I have been in that boat! Our sewer backed up when we were at church. My basement was a big mess too. Laundry, toys, videos all over. We had to throw away a lot and bleach the rest. Very traumatic! I am feeling your pain! Sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes if it is just a double coke I am proud of you! That is TERRIBLE! You sound like you have a pretty good attitude considering the circumstances. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for making my day seem normal, you always make me laugh out loud! I hope things get better for you soon. I just hate it when I have a crappy day! hahaha:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that Diet Coke can cure anything!! My husband calles it a Mormon womens beer! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love to hear that you are having a crappy day-I am glad that you are normal- just wished I lived closer to enjoy your adventures with you

    ReplyDelete